Monday, November 15, 2010

the women

I watch them all
the old women-
the gravel-voice
cackle laughing former smokers-
grandmothers, all.
they remind me of Clara
how she would have been
if she had be harder.
They see me walk in
still tired and disheveled
a head full of hair that will not be smoothed
they see someone they might like better
than the girls their grandsons brings over at Christmas
I see them-
the lines on their faces
that finally allow them to be honest with each other
I see us
who we will be
when we are softer.

3 comments:

  1. perspective on days to come in elderhood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. May be my favorite. I love the use of 'softer' here. Definitely include this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lindsay... the last line is wonderful particularly.

    ReplyDelete