Saturday, September 11, 2010

Red*

we talked last night,
she and I.
Well, I talked,
she listened.
Well, I talked,
she stood there.
I spoke and knew she saw me,
but did not speak to her.

I spoke to her last night,
years ago-
when we were both in the same room,
and she told me how happy she was-
proud she was
of me.

We spoke yesterday evening,
years ago-
when I had moved on
and she had stayed where she was for now-
but was almost ready,
almost ready to go someplace warmer.

We spoke yesterday afternoon,
years ago-
when her hair was strawberry blond
from the Florida sun
and she told me how happy she was
for herself.

I spoke last night,
last night-
when she was away from me-
away from all of us.
And I knew how happy she was
that we knew she saw us.

*accepted for publication at amphibi.us

No comments:

Post a Comment